Ingredients: (yield 8 rolls)
* 1 1/2 lb flank steak
* Salt & Pepper
* 5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* Olive oil
For the Veggie filling –
* 1/2 carrot
* 1/2 bell pepper
* 1/2 a zucchini
* 3 green onions
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* Pinch each of salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, parsley, basil (all dried).
For the Balsamic glaze sauce-
* 2 tbsp butter
* 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 tbsp brown sugar
* 1/4 cup beef broth
1) Start by cutting the steak into strips. Mine were approximately 1.5″x3″. If the steak is too thick, you may need to filet it into two pieces. You may have scraps left, to make the strips the right shape. (*Save them for a stir fry later!)
2) Marinate the steak with salt, pepper, and 5 tbsp worcestershire sauce, for at least 1 hour.
3) Prep the veggies. After cleaning them, cut them into tiny match sticks. Keep the green onion separated from the rest. Put veggies aside. (*Save the other half of the carrot, bell pepper, and zucchini – and sauté with the steak scraps for a stir fry the next day)
4) In a large, nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the shallots, and sauté until soft and translucent. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and stock. Allow the sauce to come to a boil, and with time, it will reduce by half becoming a syrup-like consistency. Stir often. Once reduced, transfer the sauce to a bowl.
5) In the same pan (no need to clean), heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat. Saute garlic briefly, then add the carrots, peppers, and zucchini (DO NOT COOK THE GREEN ONIONS), for 2 additional minutes. Toss with salt, pepper, and a pinch each of oregano/parsley/basil/thyme.
7) Reheat the same skillet, with olive oil, over medium high heat. When hot, add the steak rolls, seam side down. Be sure not to touch the rolls for several minutes while it browns. Then turn roll and cook it on all sides in the same way. Cook to your desired temperature – mine were medium.
8) Remove the rolls, place on a platter. Remove toothpicks, and top with the balsamic glaze.
Recipe inspired by: http://picturetherecipe.com/index.php/recipes/balsamic-glazed-steak-rolls/